Guidance For The Complexities Of The Probate Process
Probate is the process of taking the will to Surrogate’s Court and asking for an executor to be appointed. The process then becomes transferring a person’s property after death pursuant to the terms of the decedent’s will. A court supervises the probate process, and the executor of the estate will oversee each step. If you are the executor of an estate, we can advise you on how to handle the estate. If there is no will, we can advise the administrator of the estate.
At Trotto Law Firm, P.C., in Rochester, our lawyer provides New York clients with the support and guidance they need to effectively navigate their estate law concerns. If you are facing the likelihood of walking through the probate process, we will walk through it with you. We will help you understand what to expect, how to proceed and how you can avoid unnecessary problems and issues.
What Should You Expect?
The probate process can be lengthy and complex, and many people find it beneficial to have the guidance of an experienced attorney from the beginning. During probate, you can expect the following steps involved in probate:
- The first step in probate is to find the decedent’s will. If there is a will, then there is an executor.
- If there is no will, then someone must come forward to be the administrator.
- Find out if the decedent named a person to act as executor of the estate. If not, the court will appoint an administrator.
- The executor will notify beneficiaries, take inventory of the estate and learn about remaining debts and taxes unpaid by the deceased.
- There will be a repayment of all debts using estate assets.
- Beneficiaries will share what remains as directed by the will.
Probate can be particularly complex when there are issues with beneficiaries or disputes over the terms of the will. During the process of resolving an estate, paying debts, inventorying assets and more, having the assistance of an experienced probate attorney can be invaluable.
We strive to provide our clients with clear guidance during this process. Our attorney will work diligently to see that you do not experience any unnecessary setbacks and deal with challenges as quickly and efficiently as possible. We strive to save you time and preserve your interests.