Modifying Your Custody Agreement To Allow For Relocation

Judges use the "best interests of the child" standard the first time custody orders are determined and in any subsequent custody modifications. If circumstances arise that require you to relocate with your children, you may seek a modification. However, the burden for amending a custody order is much higher when custodial parents seek to relocate children out of the state.

Courts put great weight on the noncustodial parent's relationship with the child in making this determination. Other factors, such as the educational and economic benefits of the relocation on the child, are considered as well.

Our legal professionals at Trotto Law Firm, P.C., meet with clients who are pursuing this goal, we explain why it is difficult to obtain a custody modification without a lawyer's assistance. New York family law codes have been written to promote stability in a child's life. Protecting the parent-child bond after divorce is one way to achieve this goal.

Guiding You Through Complicated Modifications

Led by our principal attorney, Jonathan Trotto, we can help you navigate the complex process that allows custodial parents move their children across state lines. We draw on our extensive legal experiences when we develop strategies to address your needs and unique situation.

You have an advantage in retaining our firm's counsel because we know which evidence and arguments are the most compelling in court such as:

  • The emotional, economical and educational benefits associated with the move
  • The effect the move with have on the non-relocating parent
  • The new visitation schedule that is created based on the move

Throughout this process, our legal professionals will give you an honest assessment of your choices. We understand that our role as your advocate is temporary, but the decisions you make will have a long-lasting effect. You and your loved ones will benefit from remaining well-informed.

Partner With Trotto Law Firm, P.C., To Expand Your Custody Options

Considering a move? Contact our firm to discuss your situation before you take legal action. We offer free consultations at my Rochester office to clients throughout Monroe County and the surrounding counties. Dial 585-484-9970 or complete our short questionnaire to arrange a meeting.